August 19, 2017 – It is a busy weekend, filled with tomatoes!
I picked up 60lbs of tomatoes, a couple dozen corn on the cob, onions, 10lbs of chicken backs & necks, and a variety of carrots, celery, fennel bulbs, basil, red peppers, green peppers, jalapeño peppers, onions, and other fresh vegetables.
But the tomatoes are the stars of the weekend’s food show.
- Chipotle salsa
- Roasted tomato, fennel, and garlic soup
- Passata – I finally got to use my tomato mill 🙂
- Canned diced tomatoes
- Roasted corn stock – This stuff is amazing!!!
- Canned corn – I had to do something with the corn after I stripped the cobs for the stock!
- Garlic & chili chicken stock
The forecast for the weekend wasn’t great. Cloudy with 30% chance of rain today.
Except they lied!
The day dawned with blue skies and full sun. And I had 60 lbs of tomatoes in the garage mocking me for foolishly thinking it would not be a weekend worth taking the motorcycle out for.
Oh well, tomatoes dealt with, pressure canner now doing its thing, and I’m done with tomatoes for the canning season. All set for the coming year where tomatoes are concerned now. 🙂
117 Photos in 2017 – 19. World Photography Day (19th August)